Monday, April 27, 2009

Home at last


Last night I drove the TWIKE 8 miles from Northwest Portland to my house for the first time. It had to climb over 1000 feet in elevation. This was a real test of the 2nd battery I got working and only the second charge cycle on that battery. I know from experience from the other batteries that it takes several charge cycles to wake up the 10 year old NiCad cells. I expect the range now with two batteries is around 15-20 miles on level ground. I am working on a third pack that should extend that to nearly 30 miles. I have lots of other small things to work on and some larger ones. I need to replace all three tires. I noticed that one has large cracks (not surprising for a 10 year old tire). This must be fixed before I can consider much serious driving. It was amazingly stable at speed and at one point I think I was exceeding the speed limit without realizing it. EV grin here I come!

No comments: